The 2019 Project Award is sponsored by CARES
The aim of this award scheme is to reward excellence within the British Precast membership and to showcase examples of inspirational projects utilising precast concrete.
2019 ENTRIES ARE NOW CLOSED.
With thanks to our Project Award sponsor:
The 2018 Project Award was sponsored by CARES
2018 Award Winner
Techrete - V&A, Museum of Design, Dundee
Designed by Kengo Kuma
This is the first V&A outside London and was designed by Kengo Kuma. The design of the façade drew inspiration from the Scottish cliffs and the silhouette imitates a ship in dock. Techcrete’s innovation in mould design ensured the architect’s intent could be achieved rather than being ruled out based on cost grounds. Whilst the precast façade planks look uniform from afar, the rear of the planks differ in size and orientation. A mould was devised, that rotates on large rollers, so that it could be locked at different angles. Simple to operate and adjust, it made the project cost achievable. A C155 mix was used with retarder and light power washing exposing the aggregate.
BIM was used throughout and, together with a GPS system, was critical for successful installation and co-ordination between 18000 channels cast into the structure, and Techcrete’s pioneering bespoke fixings.
The 2018 shortlisted entries for this award were as follows:
- Banagher Precast Concrete - DLR Encapsulation, London
- Sterling Services - Lambeth Civic Hall
- Creagh Concrete Products - Library Building, Roehampton
- Marshalls CPM - Flood Release Scheme, Rhyl
- Techrete - 2 St Peters Square, Manchester
- Banagher Precast Concrete & PCE - The Avenue MSCP, Bracknall
For further information on the above projects download our 2018 Annual Review.
The 2017 Project Award was sponsored by CARES
2017 Award Winner
Techrete - John Lewis, Victoria Gate, Leeds.
For the flagship John Lewis store in Leeds, the diagrid pattern was deconstructed by Techrete engineers to panelise a façade to enable production. Innumerable intricate details regarding the geometry, the engineering and the manufacturing were combined in 3D BIM, from which over 600 drawings were generated. Many challenges were successfully overcome: accuracy of facetted corners, contrasting finishes within single units, installation of unusually shaped units of up to 14 tonnes in weight and the requirement for unique permanent fixing methods.
Precast concrete products are used for a wide range of applications in our built environment. This award showcases projects that deliver on aesthetics, functionality, innovation, workmanship, cost-effectiveness and demonstrates the inherent benefits and properties of precast concrete.
The 2017 shortlisted entries for this award were as follows:
- Sterling Services - Hanover Square, London
- Techrete - John Lewis, Victoria Gate, Leeds
- CPM Group - Erith Park Development, Kent
- Thorp - Victoria Gate Arcade, Leeds
- Cornish Concrete Products - BP Sunbury
- Sterling Services - Watermark Westquay, Southampton
For further information on the above projects download our 2017 Annual Review.
The 2016 Project Award was sponsored by CARES
2016 Award Winner
PCE Limited - Volkswagen Car Showroom Project.
The 2016 shortlisted entries for this award were as follows:
- Sterling Services - One Capital Square, Cardiff
- Delta Bloc - M1 Junction 15-16 Delta Bloc UK
- Aggregate Industries - Bay Campus, Swansea Univiersity
- PCE Limited, Volkswagen - Car Showroom Service Centre and MSCP
For further information on the above projects download our 2016 Annual Review
The 2015 Project Award was sponsored by CARES
2015 Award Winner
Thorp Precast - Admiral Head Quarter.
The 2015 shortlisted entries for this award were as follows:
- Cornish Concrete Products - Staircase for Institute of Structural Engineers
- Bison Manufacturing - University of Bath - R6 Student Accommodation
- Buchan Concrete Solutions - Motel One
- Creagh Concrete Products - Blackpool MSCP
- Sterling Services - 40 Chancery Lane
- Thorp Precast - Admiral Head Quarter
For further information on the above projects, download our 2015 Annual Review